Friday, October 03, 2008

Chinese Accent

Honestly, I always knew I have accent problems.
Today is my lucky day. My short term English teacher Louise was helping us on accent problems.
Now I am reading the material I got. Gosh, I must say sorry to those who bore me. Hope I can indeed improve myself after this short semester.

Below are some key points digested from this 4 pages material.

* Intonation

In English, a pitch change indicates the speaker's intention. In Chinese, a pitch change indicates a different word.

For example: ma can be ma1, ma2, ma3, ma4 in Chinese.
And when you say "It sounds like rain". We usually speak it flatly.
However, the pitch should be like: "It ma3 like ma3" when you say "It sounds(3) like rain(3)".

* Pronunciation

I am totally helpless in this part.

* Liaisons - I am not doing too bad in this part although far from good enough.

Written English Chinese Accent American Liaisons
Tell him teo him tellim
Pull it out puw ih aw pul li dout

* Final Consonants

Final consonants are often left off. For example, hold sound like ho.
American English has a peculiar characteristic in that the t sound is, in many cases, pronounced as a d.

No comments: